Employee turnover is a big problem for casinos worldwide. When gambling flourished in the former USSR, in six months, staff changed by fifty percent or more in some casinos. Dealer schools constantly worked for all casinos of this type.
Modern casinos in the U.S. are significantly affected by this phenomenon. There are cases of merging casinos and their acquisition by other operators. Many employees go home after hearing about the possible changes in the tules.
Why Is Staff Turnover a Problem for Casinos?
Replacing even one employee is costly to owners of gambling houses.
You must teach them, buy uniforms, etc.
The reasons for it can be very different, from the low wages and lack of formal employment to the elemental carelessness of young and inexperienced dealers.
How to Keep Dealers at the Casino
Whatever it is, a manager must find a way for each employee to feel valuable to the casino and convince them not to rush into such a decision.
Trying to convince a dealer not to go to another casino, the manager should ask critical questions and persuade them to think about answers.
- Why did you decide to change the casino? - Here, you need to listen very carefully to the answer. The reasons may be objective (higher wages, new chances) and subjective (I do not like the manager, I broke up with a girl who works here, and so on). In the first case, it's hard to keep them, and in the second, it is not only possible, but you need to do it.
- What are you offered at a new place? - If an employee is precious, they may get a good offer.
- Have you thought about the possible negative consequences? - Remind them about the difficulties of learning the new team must adapt. Tell them about the problems of the casino. In short, tell them the full implications of it.
- Is it worth risking your achievements in this casino? - Praise the employee, say they are in good standing and have all chances of getting promoted.
- Do you realize that it will be challenging to go back? - A person should realize that you may not take them back. And even if that happens, their reputation will be ruined, and their career will be challenging to rebuild. It is important not to overreact so that the conversation does not turn into bullying.
Usually, good work with the staff helps prevent employee turnover. Most employees go to another casino because the administration cares little about them.